Grand Kids Log Hive, Progress Report
February 14, 2015 by solarbeez
Jan. 3…Progress so far on log
Jan. 3…See the big rotten spot in the middle? All that brown wood is rotten. I removed a huge section of rot already and there’s still some left. I believe it might have been started by nails driven into the tree many years ago. See the next photo.
Three brown streaks are from three old nails. The next time you’re tempted to drive a nail into a tree, think about this photo. I believe these nails started the rot in the tree which resulted in a big rotten spot in the trunk…not visible on the outside of the tree.
Jan. 13…The start of the ‘bowl.’ I want to have a little cavity on the bottom of the hive. I’ll place a pile of sawdust and maybe some leaves to create habitat for sow bugs, earwigs, pseudoscorpions, and whatever else should be living in a tree. When mites fall down, they can get devoured.
Drilling more holes for the ‘bowl.’
Let’s grind it down
Not deep enough yet.
Hope this is deep enough
We’re going to call it good. I’ve got to get the observation window built.
Hal said to drill the corners, then saw up to them. I’m starting my first corners, but I changed my mind after I saw where they broke through didn’t leave much ‘observing’ space.
Jan. 15…After waffling several times over the window, I finally jelled on where it should go. This is it!!!
I’ve been thinking about getting one of these saws for years, finally I have an excuse. Using it, I cut out a place for the glass.
I cut the plexiglass, pushed it down into a curve, and promptly broke it.
I cut a new piece, carved some wooden ‘wedges’ to make the glass lay flat, and fastened it in place.
February 4…The log is almost ready for Brian Vorwaller, but I’ve still got to get the top bars fitted.
Using my new multi-tool saw, I cut a rabbet for the bars to sit on.
My neighbor donated some cedar he didn’t need. I cut my top bars.
Check out this custom-cut top bar. 🙂
Custom fitted top bars in place. Zada just called to say they are coming tomorrow to pick up the log. I’m glad I’m ready.
Well, almost ready. I’ve still got to hollow out this top slab to use as a quilt box. I’m thinking about adding this old birdhouse on the very top. My wife is not 100% on board with that idea, so it’s iffy. As it turns out, Brian Vorwaller didn’t like idea either. He didn’t say it, but I knew it when he says, “Give me another chunk of wood to work with.”
February 14…Brian works the hoist while his Valentine makes sure he’s observing proper safety protocols.
Brian will need about a month or so to carve the three grand kids’ faces onto the log. Zada will videotape the progress. So while I bid adiós to my log for awhile, I know it’s in good hands.
Grand Kids Log Hive: The beginning
Hollowing out the log
Getting the faces carved in